My new resolution to appreciate the small things is going to take a bit of time.
Before I can try enjoying meniality, I am actually going to have to indentify meniality. My natural instinct, in 'auto-pilot' is to perform those everyday tasks blankly and quickly - getting them through as soon as possible.
I have noticed that when I am doing things like brushing my teeth, I am distantly frustrated at the time it is taking me and the impediment it represents to my tasks. But what tasks lie ahead - hardly the most life affirming - just breakfast, studying, talking etc.
So, whilst I have to appreciate the mundane, I need a reassessment of the deceptive-mundane, that is, the stuff that I overrate, the stuff that I hurry to, for no good reason. I need a new equilibrium, where all activities are seen in their true light.
One of the most important reassessments must be the one of myself. It is human nature to compare oneself and to derive a social status for yourself. But that is not what should motivate me. I shouldn't be motivated by earning the respect or admiration of others. That's not true pleasure. I should be actuated by a desire to appreciate life, live it to the max and be happy. Somehow, I need to shed myself of this trenchant cloak of vanity that hangs over me. Only then will I be strong and independent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment