Friday, 22 May 2009

Friday of the Week

Hi,

I'm sitting in my room with my stinky feet pressed onto my bed, my legs stretched. Things are a little messy but not as bad as usual. I have dismantled and buried a "pile" consisting of books and paper and folders. The remnants now lie in crevices under my desk and can't be seen by the casual viewer. It also means that my desk is liberated and stretches away like a feature-less desert (all 5o centimetres of the extension).

During my mild tidying, I have come across a small ring-bound pamphlet-book (like the student planners they provide at school) called "Oil, Gas and Troubled Waters" by Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge. This was a votive offering from a law firm that I contacted. These law firms provide information in natty little booklets for clients and kindly, Edwards et al sent me it despite not being Tescos or Vladimir Putin. (Must have a few coppers spare, this firm).

I haven't read it. I meant to become acutely aware of the issues to fulfil my interest and so that I could spout knowledgeably in an interview with any law firm. Unfortunately, my interviews never got to the stage where I could discuss the merits of Russia continental shelf extension claims. In fact, they ended de jures much earlier - perhaps, when I was making the application...

So, now I have this very legal little handbook and I do not know what to do with it. To try and read would bring back too many painful memories of puzzled interviewers piercing stares of barely disguised doubt, as well as raising gruesome visions of what's to come. I've also kind of gone of the fad of Arctic Oil Race. After all, what is it but an issue that involves the future of our energy resources, climate change and world power re-alignment. Hardly, life and death!

I followed current affairs very closely for a while - not just for superficial employment reasons but I genuinely found it interestingly thought-provoking, honest. I've never been a junkie, my natural inclination being to know enough not to be considered a dunderhead but not enough so that scouring news reports scuppers my football reading obsession (I navigated 5 or 6 footy sites for news on a daily basis at one stage). So, with job interviews looming, improving my knowledge of current affairs was, I thought, essential.

And it is essential - but not just for jobs. To be aware of what the spectrum of fate has for the people of this scurrying planet is essential for the goodness of your character. The more you are aware of the depths of despair that exist and the great successes, the less you think of yourself, your little plot, as the centre of this universe. The more you empathise with others, the more self-less, sympathetic and nice, you become. Theoretically.

However, with the stomping interview disasters and what not, my eagerness to gaze up at the spewing crumbs has declined. I flopped back onto that sagging couch and stuffed my fist into the popcorn heap. So, I know enough to partake in the average conversation but not much more.

Perhaps, I will try to get myself into shape using this blog. I could try and write about currenty affairs stuff here and wax knowledgeable. Mmmm...have to think about that. Not sure if it's my thing, to be honest. Although, I don't have to worry about making this blog so eclectic so that it if falls apart and disappears as the separate shards are too thin to be visible...

Revision? What revision? Oh, yeah. Won't go into it but I've had a few problems. Will resume my revision after I've filled my belly.

Laters.

Footy fatigian.

No comments:

Post a Comment